The online MA in sport coaching (MASC) program educates and prepares coaches of all sports and levels—as well as strength and conditioning coaches—to enhance athlete, team or client performance. Students benefit from a comprehensive, flexible and individualized curriculum designed by internationally respected faculty experts in coach education. We offer an ideal blend of coursework in sport sciences and the psychological, sociological and ethical aspects of sport coaching. Our student-coaches engage in interactive, student-centered coursework to gain practical skills for real-world settings.
A distinguishing feature of the MASC program is the team-taught practicum in coaching course sequence designed to help students gain problem-solving skills in their coaching context. While enrolled in the practicum, each student is paired with a mental skills consultant (sport psychologist) or a coach-mentor, providing an additional opportunity for growth and development.
Students benefit from faculty experts in coaching education and online teaching, and continually engage with a vibrant network of peers, coaches and faculty dedicated to their success. As innovators and continuous learners, students graduate as quality scholar-coaches prepared to enhance performance ethically.
Practicum in Strength, Conditioning, and Fitness Coaching
About this Course
The purpose of the Practicum in Strength, Conditioning, and Fitness Coaching course is to help students gain the knowledge, skills and attitudes to become a quality coach and a reflective practitioner through experiential learning. Students will be provided with a variety of strategies and methods to solve real-world strength, conditioning, and fitness coaching problems in real life settings. Students will draw upon other coursework, research, and practical insights to exercise professional judgement. Students must complete at least 50 hours of coaching throughout the quarter.
Psychology of Athletic Performance
About this Course
Graduate level course to educate students on the psychological aspects of athletic performance, and secondarily coach performance. Course content includes the theoretical and practical application of established mental skills (e.g., motivation, efficacy, arousal, anxiety, focus, self-awareness, goal-setting, imagery, team cohesion). Concepts will be applied to the evaluation and creation of practice and training plans to enhance athletic performance.
Organization and Administration of Sport
About this Course
Graduate level course to educate students on the organization and administration of sport and sport coaching. Course content includes emergency action planning, facility management, human resource management, evaluation and development, legal responsibilities, record keeping, fianance, and public relations. Students will learn how to lead organizations and coaching staffs to develop fair and safe participation.
Degree and GPA Requirements
- Bachelors degree: All graduate applicants must hold an earned baccalaureate from a regionally accredited college or university or the recognized equivalent from an international institution.
- Grade point average: The minimum undergraduate GPA for admission consideration for graduate study at the University of Denver is a cumulative 2.5 on a 4.0 scale or a 2.5 on a 4.0 scale for the last 60 semester credits or 90 quarter credits (approximately two years of work) for the baccalaureate degree. An earned master’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution supersedes the minimum standards for the baccalaureate. For applicants with graduate coursework but who have not earned a master’s degree or higher, the GPA from the graduate work may be used to meet the requirement. The minimum GPA is a cumulative 3.0 on a 4.0 scale for all graduate coursework undertaken.
- Program GPA requirement: The minimum undergraduate GPA for admission consideration for this program is a cumulative 2.5 on a 4.0 scale.
English Language Proficiency Test Score Requirements
The minimum TOEFL/IELTS/CAE test score requirements for this degree program are:
- Minimum TOEFL Score (Internet-based test): 80
- Minimum TOEFL Score (Paper-based test): 550
- Minimum IELTS Score: 6.5
- Minimum CAE Score: 169
English Conditional Admission: No, this program does not offer English Conditional Admission.