Forensic Psychology, juvenile justice, trauma, interpersonal/gender-based violence, childhood sexual abuse, violence, sex offending, public policy, social justice, culturally responsive practice, Cultural Humility, popular culture
Dr. Alexander is a DU Public Impact Fellow and has been interviewed by numerous media outlets, including The New York Times, USA Today, and NBC Nightly News, about her research and advocacy work. Her research focuses on violence and victimization, forensic assessment, sexuality, and trauma-informed and culturally informed practice. She is an award-winning researcher and her work has been published in leading journals including Journal of Forensic Psychology Practice, Child Maltreatment, Journal of Child Sexual Abuse, and Sexual Abuse. Dr. Alexander is the recipient of the 2017 APA Early Career Achievement Award and the APA Section on Child Maltreatment Early Career Award for Outstanding Contributions to Research. She also received the 2019 APA Early Career Award for Outstanding Contributions to Benefit Children, Youth, and Families and the 2019 Michele Alexander Early Career Award for Scholarship and Service from the Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues (SPSSI).
Dr. Alexander also enjoys bringing psychology to the public through popular media. She is a frequent presenter at Denver Pop Culture Con and has previously contributed to The Joker Psychology: Evil Clowns and the Women Who Love Them and Black Panther Psychology: Hidden Kingdoms.
Additionally, Dr. Alexander is also a board member for the Colorado Juvenile Defender Center (CJDC) and the Colorado Criminal Defense Institute (CCDI).
- PsyD, Clinical Psychology, Florida Institute of Technology, 2012
- MS, Clinical Psychology, Radford University, 2007
- BS, Psychology, Virginia Tech, 2005
- American Psychological Association
- American Psychology-Law Society
- Association for the Treatment of Sexual Abusers
- Colorado Psychological Association
- Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues
- Sexual violence is preventable--here's how (TEDxMileHigh)
- Opinion: Let’s find ways to protect students without placing them at additional…
- Guest commentary: The murder of Jordan Vong and why teens shouldn’t be tried as…
- State and local laws push more registered sex offenders into low-income Colorad…
- 2 suspects, same school shooting, 2 different legal paths: Here’s how Colorado …
- Denver First Competency Restoration Project
- GSPP Reducing Risk for Juvenile Girls in the Juvenile Justice System Project
- Lorraine Williams Greene Award for Social Justice , Division 18-Psychologists in Public Service, American Psychological Association
- The Michele Alexander Early Career Award for Scholarship and Service, Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues (SPSSI)
- Early Career Award for Outstanding Contributions to Benefit Children, Youth, and Families, Committee on Children, Youth, and Families (CYF), American Psychological Association
- APA Achievement Award for Early Career Psychologists, Committee on Early Career Psychologists (CECP), American Psychological Association (APA)
- The Early Career Award for Outstanding Contributions to Research/Practice in the Field of Child Maltreatment, Division 37 (Society for Child and Family Policy and Practice), American Psychological Association (APA)